Thursday, June 26, 2014

It Matters Where You Stand


During my quiet time today, I was reading Matthew 7:13-29. The passage stresses the point of building upon a solid foundation. It got me to thinking about man-made islands such as Dubai, a place I wouldn't mind vacationing. How about you? But, what if a huge storm hit the island—a tsunami, torrential rains, or an earthquake? What would be left of this multibillion-dollar project?
 
I imagine, little if anything.
 
So many winters we see the destruction of homes built on sand along coastal regions. Storms come and waves beat upon the shore and they're washed out to sea or remnants lay scattered across the shore.
 
Thus, Jesus provided a powerful metaphor for our lives.   
 
God has given us all the tools we need if we'll but follow His leading. Once we accept that His way is perfect, the Carpenter diligently watches over us and assists to build us up in Him. He is there to guide and assist us all along the way. He gives us His Spirit as a powerful reinforcement to strengthen us.

The strains of an old hymn I learned as a child are wafting through my mind as I write this.

The Solid Rock

Edward Mote c.1834

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

 
No matter who we are or where we live, we'll be battered by the storms of life. In those dark times we feel like we're going under, but in the end, if our foundation is built on Christ the Solid Rock, we will stand.
 
What foundation are you standing on today?
 
"Everyone then who hears these words of mine, and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the wind blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock," Matthew 7:24-25.
 

If  you need to talk, I'm here.
 

Blessings,

Danie Marie

2 comments:

  1. Danie, you are so right on this. So many people build lives on shifting sand such as: hopes of retirement, health, careers, family, etc., that they never truly stand upon the solid foundation of Christ and faithfulness to His word. I've seen families collapse, health deteriorate, careers suddenly end and retirement accounts emptied - but I have never seen Christ fade, diminish, or fail. He, alone, will outlast all other foundations. May God give us the grace and wisdom to always build our lives upon His foundation. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, thanks so much for stopping by. Sadly, as a pastor, I'm sure you witness much of what you mentioned. When the walls cave in around us, Christ is our only hope. He is the One who lead us safely home. And yes, He is a sure foundation that will never fail.

      Blessings ~ Danie

      Delete

Blogs Danie Follows