Monday, June 17, 2013

Forgiveness is Hard...

At times it can feel unbearable, even impossible, to forgive, but here's what Colossians 3:12-13 says, "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive," (emphasis mine). ESV

I've had to put that into practice many times over the years, but the other night I had to do so after a heavy phone call with a sister in the Lord with an abrasive personality. I had apologized over a misunderstanding over the day I needed her to clean my house a few nights before, so when we talked a couple nights later and she went into attack mode because I had "messed up," my defense mode kicked in.

Especially when she didn't want to hear what I had to say in trying to bring clarity to the situation. She cut me off rather rudely, and in the end hung up on me.

Why didn't I have the good sense to end the conversation before I let off steam? *sigh*

In reality I'm to blame. I knew her personality beforehand. Was it pride that led me to think of her as a ministry opportunity? Lord have mercy!

I'm humbled.

In hindsight I realize that I never prayed about hiring her in the first place.

It's difficult when we feel attacked, isn't it, to keep our emotions intact, but I got over my anger quickly and when I went to bed that night, I prayed for her.

The following evening I called and apologized for speaking words in anger. Thankfully, in Christ, there's a bridge over those troubled waters. In order to maintain what friendship we have, I've hired a professional housekeeper. I’m thankful for this lesson. Let's hope I learn from it and grow in grace.

That's what life's difficulties are, you know, opportunities to grow in our Savior's grace.

 

ll Corinthians 9:8 ~ "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work."

 

Lord, thank you for forgiving our sins, for making a way for us to have fellowship with you. Help us learn to mirror You to the world around us. We cast down our fleshly natures to your glory, in Jesus name. Amen.

 

Love & Blessings,

Danie Marie

 

PS  Please be praying for me friends. I'm having two major surgeries on my left hand Wednesday June 19th. It may be awhile before you hear from me. Thanks much!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Danni,
    I love your transparency. Thank you for being so honest. For me, it was a reminder to be on guard...never assume that I have it altogether. "Be sober, be vigilant for your adversary seeks those whom he can devour."

    I love you,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Margie, and you're right, the enemy is on the prowl!

      Love ~ Danie

      Delete
  2. This is so true. And it seems like I have to learn this lesson over and over again. I almost lost a dear friendship because I responded to something in anger instead of love. Thank God the relationship was repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thanks for stopping by. I'm thankful your friendship was spared. God is good!

      Love you ~ Danie

      Delete

Blogs Danie Follows