Monday, December 17, 2012

Pull Free

Last night I was caught by a foothold of the enemy. Everything between Hubby and me had been going well. I felt blessed. But when I fell asleep on the couch and he went to bed without kissing me goodnight…

 That's a no, no.

 I awakened shortly after he turned off all the lights, except for the bathroom light which shown in our bedroom down the hall. The light went off. I waited.

 You went to bed without kissing me goodnight? I always kiss you. Even when I'm mad. Miffed, I got up, prepared for bed, and climbed in beside him.

He was already asleep. His head hits the pillow and he's out--not so with me. But I was not going to wake him up and kiss him after what he'd done.

The foothold tightened. I imagine the devil was rubbing his scaly hands together. "I've got her now."

I laid there and talked to the Lord, mindful of the scripture that admonishes us not to go to bed angry. My dialogue with Him went something like this. Is he mad about something? Doesn't matter. There's no excuse for him not kissing me goodnight…
 
Maybe he didn't want to wake you up. Doesn't matter…

But, I thought, everything has been going really well (in our relationship). Do you want this to escalate into something nasty? My heart gave a resounding "No".

"Okay, Lord. I forgive him." I knew it was His desire. It was a pure act of will. An act that loosened the devils grip allowing me to pull free. Thank you Jesus!

The following morning,  I got up and dressed, walked into the family room and opened the French doors to our home office where my husband was working at his desk. I stood with my hands on it facing him. In a playful tone, I said, "You're in big trouble, Buddy."

"I am? Why's that," he said with a smile. "Because you didn't kiss me goodnight." "You said you hadn't been sleeping well, so I thought I'd let you sleep. I didn't want to wake you up." "Next time," I said, smiling, "wake me up."

I walked around the desk and he made it up to me with good-morning kisses.

The moment we're tempted by anger, that's the time to yank free from the enemy's foothold, especially when we're wounded. For if we give in to anger, resentment and bitterness are soon to follow, and we become trapped in the devil's web of lies.

It's silly upsets like this, isn't it, especially during the Christmas season that brings disharmony in our relationships, but by God's grace, we have the power to defuse the devils lies. Too often we rush to conclusions and step right into his trap. And his traps are everywhere. Be on the lookout.

 
Ephesians 6:10-2: "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

 

Lord, especially during this advent season the devil is at work, doing his best to injure us in an attempt to destroy relationships, he's killing innocent little children, and trying to take our focus off of you, but he's doing just the opposite, praise God. Because we need you now more than ever. You are greater than him who is against us. You see the bigger picture and are at work on our behalf. You, Lord, are the gift that keeps on giving life and breath to all who will come near You. We give you thanks, in Jesus Holy name. Amen.

 
May the Blessings of this Christmas Season Abound to You & Yours to the Glory of God
Love ~ Danie Marie

Christian Communicators Conference
Teacup Living
The Couch

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! My husband and I have the same rule, always a good-night kiss, although he doesn't hold it against me if I let him sleep in his recliner while I slip off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. I really needed to read about someone going through exactly what I've always fallen victim to, paranoia and fear. You worded it perfectly. Thanks for the invite over and I followed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Communication is right after a kiss for a lasting connection in a marriage. Thanks for the reminder, Danie.

    Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

    Uplifting blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we take an issue personally it always turns out bad. Your husbands intentions were thoughtful and sweet--better than a kiss that might wake you. Yet you took them as bad and stewed for a time. Until you decided to apply grace and consequently discover the sweet truth in the morning.

    Your story is a great reminder of the anatomy of what's wrong with relationships and communication in our culture. Our expectations (pride) lead to hurt and then resentment instead of applying grace and letting go. Thanks for this picture of grace applied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to frequently remind myself that whatever he's done is usually not worth a moment's thought in the grand scheme of things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such truth; thanks for sharing your heart. Whenever I find myself being pulled down like this I go the Phil. 4...whatever is true....and keep the lies at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yes, a good-night kiss is always good. We never know when it will be our last.

    Love & Blessings,
    Danie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lacresha (beautiful name), You pulled something out of my post I hadn't thought of ... paranoia and fear. So true! Thank you for joining my site. Bless you Sister!

    Danie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carolyn, The more Kisses the better, I say! Thank you for stopping by sweet friend.

    Love & Blessings,
    Danie

    ReplyDelete

Blogs Danie Follows