Monday, September 19, 2011

The Uglies Can Become a Thing of Beauty


On Monday September 12, I had a 12th surgery over my lifetime. Trigger finger affected the middle and ring finger of my left hand. A cyst had also grown on the middle arthritic knuckle of my middle finger. Thursday I was able to take off the bandages. My first thought upon seeing the bruises and stitches, I look like Frankenstien.

The incision on my palm, about an inch down from my fingers, is almost two inches long. My knuckle had two connecting incisions in an ‘L’ shape, one went all the way across the top. Thursday the 22nd the stitches come out, and then I’ll have physical therapy.

Sometimes things get ugly before they can heal.

Instead of dealing with the painful issue early on I kept putting it off for one reason or another; the holidays, my son’s wedding, until procrastination got the best of me. Our lives are sometimes like that aren’t they? Instead of communicating with our family, a spouse or acquaintance when there’s a problem, we stuff it. Bitterness sets in; unforgiveness.

The longer we wait the more complicated circumstances become. Bitter roots grow, you know. Our heart begins to harden. We think we’re punishing the other person but in reality; we’re the ones who suffer. Bitterness causes tension; it can cause sickness, ulcers; besides the fact we’re sinning against God.

Considering Christ forgave us shouldn’t we forgive others their sins? Healing can’t begin until we do. It’s the plain and simple truth.

I've let unforgiveness fester until the root grew deep. It tore me up. I suffered sleepless nights reliving what someone/others said, did or didn’t do. I was a mess. Healing could not begin until I let go and gave it to God. It was a difficult lesson.

Trying to change others never works; and some people will continue to hurt us. How we respond is up to us. Why worry about what someone else does or doesn’t do? Don't we have enough to worry about, controlling our own tongues and emotions?

Until we’re willing to forgive as an act of our will we can’t heal. Long held bitterness may take longer to let go of. Sometimes we have to struggle through it. But do struggle until the battle is won.

I’m proof it can be done.


For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Mat 6:14-15


Lord, help us forgive those who sin against us, as you have forgiven us; to show mercy to others, as you have mercy on us, in Jesus name. Amen.

Blessings ~ Danie

3 comments:

  1. Hoping your healing is fast! You have a beautiful blog :-)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lessons come to us via painful measures. I'm so sorry to hear about your hand. Take good care of yourself in this mending season so that no further problems surface!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie ~ thanks for stopping by and for your sweet compliment!

    And as always, it's good to hear from you, Elaine. Thank you for the well wishes, too!

    ReplyDelete

Blogs Danie Follows